Founder, Chairman, CEO and Majority Owner, Monumental Sports & Entertainment
- Business Growth and Trends
- Consumer Trends
- Emerging Markets
Audience & Industry
- Senior Management Groups
- The Health Care Industry
- The Technology Industry
Exploring the interplay between the policy, business, and science in the world of cannabis, with an industry leader.
Dr. Jeff Chen MD/MBA is the Founder and Executive Director of the UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative. He is the nation’s leading expert on the interplay between the policy, business, and science of cannabis, hemp, and CBD.
At the age of 29, Dr. Chen became one of the youngest leaders of a major university research effort in America when he took the position of Founder and Executive Director of the UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative, one of the world’s first university programs dedicated to cannabis. At UCLA, Dr. Chen oversees his program’s interdisciplinary 40+ faculty – drawn from 18 departments across 8 schools at UCLA – as they conduct cannabis-related research, education, and advocacy projects spanning “seed to society.”
Outside of UCLA, Dr. Chen engages a wide variety of stakeholders to influence policy, impact business practices, and educate the public, ranging from providing expert opinion to the U.S. House of Representatives Judicial Committee, to advising Colorado Governor Jonathan Hickenlooper, to conducting educational campaigns with athletes, like Matt Barnes and entertainers like Jonathan Van Ness.
He has extensively traveled the world speaking about cannabis – from teaching the country of Colombia’s first cannabis course for doctors, to traveling to the Kingdom of Bhutan to present on cannabis to the Royal Family, to giving the keynote talk at Cannatech Hong Kong – Asia’s first cannabis investment summit. He is known for breaking down complex concepts into digestible content, and his engaging and entertain speaking style stems from his eight years performing as a singer, which brought him to performances at venues ranging from Carnegie Hall to the Vatican.
Despite being one of the youngest leaders of a major university research effort in America, Dr. Chen is a world-recognized expert on the policy, business, and science of cannabis, hemp, and CBD, and his engaging and entertaining speaking style makes for an unforgettable and insightful experience.
The Rise of Cannabis in Entertainment and Media
Drawing on his experience in the Cannabis Industry as it pertains to entertainment and media, Dr. Chen addresses the following key intersections between the two:
• Case studies on the most successful cannabis media companies: High Times, Merryjane, Civilized
• Traditional marketing off limits for cannabis--influencer marketing reigns supreme
• Lending celebrity names to cannabis: lessons from Marley Naturals and Leaf by Snoop
• The mainstreaming of cannabis and implications for pop culture
• Opportunities and threats from on-site consumption (i.e. “cannabis bars”)
• Impacts on entertainment consumption from changes in alcohol and cannabis consumption
• Incorporating/preparing for cannabis consumption at live events
Cannabis and The Technology Industry
Dr. Chen draws on his expertise to address the key intersections between the Cannabis and the Technology industry and educate the audience about the following:
• Cannabis as one of the few industries where retail will rival ecommerce
• The imminent explosion in cannabis subscription services: consumers want to explore
• Algorithms to personalize cannabis consumption
• Seed to sale tracking: valuable data for product development and consumer targeting
• The importance of achieving metered dose delivery
• Case studies on the most successful cannabis tech companies: Weedmaps, Leafly, Eaze
• The value of gathering data on how different cannabis affects different people
Cannabis and The Healthcare Industry
Dr. Chen draws on his expertise to address the key intersections between the Cannabis and the Healthcare Industry, and educates the audience about the following:
• Considerations regarding health insurance coverage for cannabis
• Integrating cannabis into clinical care in healthcare systems
• Basic cannabis education for healthcare providers
• Most promising areas for cannabinoid drug development
• Impact of cannabis on the opioid epidemic
• Pros and cons of different routes of administration and delivery devices
• IP considerations regarding the medical use of cannabis & cannabinoids